Monday, November 5, 2012


A Prayer for Election Day - November 6, 2012 
(As always, feel free to share this with anyone who might be interested)

Today, God of all creation, as I add my vote to those of many millions of citizens throughout the nation, guide me by your wisdom.  Though your ways are not my ways, and your thoughts are not my thoughts, let my vote be consistent with your intentions as they have been revealed through your people Israel, and in Christ Jesus.

May my vote not be cast in ignorance, apathy, fear, hatred, greed, or narrow self interest.

May my vote be cast as an expression of your love that casts a wide net in order to draw all the world to yourself.

May my vote be cast as an expression of your passionate welcome that spreads arms wide to embrace children, runs to meet the returning prodigal, touches those with fearful diseases, welcomes the foreigner into the fullness of community, and suffers for your enemies.

May it be cast in concern for your justice – for the generous and sufficient distribution of resources so that all people may participate in and benefit from communal life without shame.

May my vote be cast in remembrance of your delight in your creation, and your intention to heal all of creation, so that all things in heaven and earth are reconciled to you in Christ Jesus.            

God, my vote is only one vote, but enable me to cast it in faithfulness to you.  Whether the candidates I vote for win or lose, enable me to be an agent of your love, your welcome, your justice, and your healing in the days ahead.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment