Wednesday, March 1, 2017

WISE STEWARDS: LENTEN PRAYERS 2017

     As I have thought about doing another Lenten prayer guide, it seems like God has directed my thoughts to one theme: money, wealth and stewardship (which may sound like more than one theme), and has diverted my thoughts when I have tried to think of other ideas.
     I have attempted to think and act wisely in the use of resources that God has provided for me and my family, but I believe there is much room for growth in my life, and probably in yours too.
     These prayers are not intended as little sermons. I am not interested in creating guilt trips for anyone. I am interested in helping us prayerfully explore our attitudes and responses to wealth, in its many forms, so that our lives reflect biblical concerns for daily trust in God and daily love and justice for our neighbors. Let this be our prayer!
     As usual, I have written these prayers in the first person plural (“we” and “us”), believing that all of our prayer is part of the prayer of the church and that God’s word is directed towards the whole people of God, not just to isolated individuals.

     I have made some choices about scriptural passages that I will respond to in prayer, but do not have a strong sense, yet, about how the prayers for the forty days will hold together. They may lead in directions of which I am presently unaware. Thank you for joining me in this journey.

Day 1 - Ash Wednesday
Psalm 24:1

     Wondrous Creator, we worship you in the midst of a world of amazing beauty, complexity and fruitfulness. We praise You for your wonderful works! You have called them “Good!” and have taken delight in them, and we have too.
     But we often forget that You created by your own word, out of your own wisdom, for your own delight. We forget that we are stewards and caretakers, not absolute owners. We forget that your world is not ours to use and abuse in any way that comes to mind.
     Forgive us for our forgetfulness. Forgive us for our presumption. Forgive us for plundering beauty and creating ugliness, for turning fruitfulness to desolation, and for destroying life.
     Forgive us for our greed that fuels excessive extraction, aggressive and unjust confiscation, widespread starvation and rapid extinction. 
     Help us to remember that we are your creatures. Help us to remember our role as caretakers whose task is to enhance the beauty and fruitfulness of your creation. Help us to alter our practices of consumption. Transform our minds so that we may act with wisdom. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment